Friday, March 20, 2009

The victory of safety over ecology.

I live in a very well established neighbourhood of a beautiful small town. In my area there are several dozen large old trees, two of which were in my backyard; note the past tense. It was decided at the beginning of this past winter to remove the trees because they were becoming dangerous. It's unfortunately true.

One evening, I returned home to find that there was a very large branch laying on the ground. It had fallen out of the tree and thankfully missed the neighbours shed. Seeing the rotten end on the fallen branch made the point all too clear, the two 70 foot tall Silver Maples would have to be removed. They were taken down with the greatest of ease. 50 some-odd years of growth erased in only 3 days.

RIP to two beautiful trees. I hope the world won't frown too heavily on our household.

No comments: